Can Dogs Get the Flu?

Dogs, Infectious Diseases

Canine Influenza is a relatively new disease caused by a “flu” virus. It causes respiratory infection and only affects dogs. It spreads quickly and may cause serious illness, such as pneumonia, possibly death.

Is Canine Influenza Found Near Baltimore?

There have been confirmed cases in counties surrounding ours. Two of them ending in death!

How Do Dogs Get the Flu?

Canine Influenza can be spread multiple ways:

  • through direct contact (licking, nuzzling)
  • through the air (coughing or sneezing)
  • via contaminated surfaces (such as food/water bowls, cages, or through human contact on hands or clothing, then coming in direct contact with a dog)

How Prevalent is Dog Flu?

About 80% of dogs that show signs will have a mild form of the disease. Clinical signs include sneezing, coughing, low-grade fever, nasal discharge, loss of appetite, and lack of energy. The other 20% will show more severe signs. These include pneumonia and high fever. Unfortunately, by the time you see these signs, you dog has already been shedding the virus and infecting others, and will need immediate veterinary attention. If left untreated, death may occur.

Which Dogs Are Most at Risk of Catching the Flu?

There are multiple risk factors:

  • Dogs that come from shelters, rescue centers, breeding kennels or pet stores
  • Boarding at dog facilities
  • Visiting groomers, dog parks, or interacting with other dogs
  • Participating in dog events/competitions
  • Dogs that travel
  • Dogs that come in contact with an area where an infected dog has been

Fortunately, there is a vaccination that has been proven to significantly reduce your dog’s chance of becoming infected. Vaccinated dogs that do contract the flu typically experience less-severe symptoms, and recover more quickly.

Contact us to learn more!

Essex Middle River Veterinary Center provides medical and surgical care for cats and dogs at our animal hospital and veterinary clinic in Essex, Maryland, just outside of Baltimore. Our services include preventive wellness care exams, vaccines, spays/neuters, and a variety of specialized care. Our state-of-the-art veterinary offices are conveniently located near I-695 where we see pets from Towson, Honeygo, White Marsh, and other neighboring Baltimore areas.

The Dangerous Link Between Grain-Free Dog Food and Heart Disease

Grain-free pet diets have become very popular over the last several years. Following public perception, many pet food companies promote grain-free diets as being a more natural alternative to conventional diets. However, this trend has led to serious health side...

I Found A Lump On My Pet. Is It Dangerous?

Clients often find lumps or bumps on their pets' bodies. In the veterinary profession we call these abnormalities “growths” or “masses." Sometimes these growths — which protrude from, or are palpable within, the deeper tissues of the skin — are cancerous,...

What To Do If Your Cat Has Anxiety

Many owners who come to our clinic worry about whether their cats are suffering from anxiety. As opposed to dogs, which tend to suffer from acute causes of anxiety, such as when their owner leaves the house, or loud noises, cats tend to have generalized anxiety over...

What To Do If Your Dog Has Anxiety

Anxiety is one of the most common things owners tell us about when they bring their dogs in to our clinic. Before I discuss the interventions that can be tried to help dogs with anxiety, I will focus on what causes anxiety in dogs, and what can be done to prevent...

Resource Topics

Thanksgiving Safety Tips for Cats and Dogs

The holidays are a fun time shared with friends and family. By following some of the guidelines below from the AVMA,...

How to Make Sure Your Pet Has a Good St. Patrick’s Day

Your beer is green, and your plate is full of cabbage and corned beef — It must be St. Patrick’s Day! No matter...
Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

This message is only visible to admins:
Unable to display Facebook posts

Error: Error validating access token: Session has expired on Monday, 09-Sep-19 11:23:22 PDT. The current time is Sunday, 15-Sep-19 14:49:41 PDT.
Type: OAuthException
Code: 190
Subcode: 463
Click here to Troubleshoot.